Avante Marine Monster Fish    Total tackle Lonestar  chsmith 
Victoria's Premier Fishing Forum

• Advertisement
Forum rules
Friendliness First. Please ensure that your whole post is respectful of the feelings and cultures of all others. Consider whether your post is more suited for another forum. See the index page for the full list. Assist your readers by making your topic heading as relevant and descriptive as possible. Do not post your email address. This could then be used as Spam. Use the PM system (you can include your email in a PM though).
General Disclaimer. Comments and advice on this forum should be considered as general in nature, and you should always seek expert advice on matters that might affect yours and others safety, liability and insurance cover. These may include, but not be limited to, topics of electrical safety, gas installations, and boat or vehicle modifications.
Please Note: Opinions, comments and statements of forum members may not reflect those of the owners/administrators/moderators or host. Any comment, recommendation, or opinion stated on this forum are those of the member alone and have no bearing on the owners/administrators/moderators or host of this forum.

Anchor Winch Installation Yalta 5.35 All rounder

Helpful hints for the Mechanical Bits

Moderators: mrfisho, triman

Anchor Winch Installation Yalta 5.35 All rounder

Postby fatjk » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Guys,
Havinago's pride and joy is a Yalta Craft 5.35 All Rounder, as the poor bugger is feeling his age he made the decision...got to fit a button. A Little Annie drum winch is to be fitted, sight unseen I said I'll fit it for you(dickhead). Investigation revealed this vessel doesn't have a bulkhead or firewall which can support the winch. Whilst there's a will there's a way. Boat taken to a boat builder and there is a way around the problem. These vessels don't have an anchor hatch as the ground tackle was intended to be stored in the cabin on a "tub liner". we shall remove the flimsy glass tray and install a 25mm laminated bulkhead. Where the cross bollard was a roller will be fitted and a rectangular opening cut to allow the rope and chain through. Because of the angle the feed of the rope will be on the bottom of the drum rather than the top.

The bowsprit and cross bollard removed.

Looking down at the open hatch where the ground tackle is stored.

View from cabin looking forward, the "tray" does not go from hull down to the deck, it's 3mm thick.

The first cut is the deepest, tray removed,ready for grinding back to the glass, working in a snowstorm.

Dash, old Hummingbird sounder removed to make room for the switch and circuit breaker.

The new bulkhead will be two pieces of 12mm marine ply glassed together, the layer of glass between the two sheets almost doubles it's strength. As usual the owner always says..while your there can you fit a twin battery system and change over isolating switch. And also fix all the other things which I've been putting off over the years and when will it be ready.
It will be ready when I've finished. Will advise progress reports as I go.

cheers

fatjk
fatjk
MadFisho
MadFisho

Advertisement

jtfibreglass

Re: Anchor Winch Installation Yalta 5.35 All rounder

Postby havinago » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:48 pm

Hey fatjk,

What are you doing slacking off taking photo's and playing on the computer - back to work!!!.

I think I've been totally spoiled going out in fatjk's boat witha "button".

Cheers :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
havinago
havinago
GunFisho
GunFisho

Postby fatjk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Progress is slow but you can't rush fibreglass.

Laminated two 12mm sheets of ply with glass between them then fitted a 40mm square timber top to finish it off and strengthen the bulkhead.

Bulkhead glassed in to hull, sanded and ready for Flowcoat

Bulkhead Flowcoated and Flecked, colour match was almost perfect, had to cut and shorten the cushion to fit new profile

Wiring harness made up, control cable is tinned marine grade wire. The main cables are rated at 130 amps, all connections are crimped and soldered. 16 metres are needed for this boat.

Switch and circuit breaker panel mounted ready for wiring.

Now the boat is ready to actually start the winch installation. Have the winch and rotated the motor to suit this installation and will probably mark out the alignment marks tomorrow.

fatjk :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
fatjk
MadFisho
MadFisho

Postby Linford » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:56 pm

thats some nice work there, lookin the goods.
Linford
GunFisho
GunFisho

Postby DrDRIFT » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Wow Fatjk,
Nicely done....by the way my tinny needs a winch done too...so when your ready..no rush..have it done by next fishing trip will be ok with me.... :D ;)

joking aside,
very well done...can i ask what your trade was before you became full time enjoy life as i want fisho....
Dr Drift...
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

fishhardbutfishsafe...
DrDRIFT
MadFisho
MadFisho

Postby hackjob » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 pm

looking good Jan.. that bulk head looks just like a bought one..
I think there's some fish somewhere else.. you should try there.
hackjob
MadFisho
MadFisho

Postby fatjk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi DrDrift,
Don't do tinnies much now too much mucking around as they don't have bulkheads to mount to. Last Aluminium boat I fitted a winch was a 6.5 Quinnie

Had to fabricate a Stainless steel bulkhead

Bolted up and braced to forepeak and you can see struts going back to ribs to even out the load. Plus two bolts through to the floor. Worked well.

Can't really say I've got a trade, mostly self taught.Started work as trainee technician with PMG, 9 years as a Weapon mechanic in the Navy, Brickie's Labourer, Truck Driver, sold Life Assurance, Managed retail shop for 10 years and last job for 12 years was Service Manager for a Electronics company. Now I'm retired I'm a full time beep who does the odd job for mates, mainly on boats..love a challenge.

Hackjob

Yeah I'm pleased, came out well. Took me about 4 hours to sand the bloody thing to shape, as normal both sides of the hull are not symetrical, lot of swearing and getting in and out of the boat. Hopefully be finished by weekend. Got to prepare my own boat and truck for Eden.

cheers

fatjk
MadFisho
MadFisho

Postby havinago » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:57 am

:construct:

fatjk might not have a trade backed by a bit of paper but he is QBE (Qualified By Experience) in the "Quality and Excellence" trade.

A few years in the Navy making sure that all the big guns go
"Boom" out the right end must have honed his skills pretty well.
:camper: :camper: :camper:
Can't wait to get my hands back on the boat - I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms.
:partiz: :party1: :party2: :balloons: :partiz: :partiz: :partiz: :w00t: :party1: :party2:
I've spended hours just pressing buttons I walk past for practice.
havinago
havinago
GunFisho
GunFisho

Postby fatjk » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:21 pm

It's Australia day but as I'm working the open no rain means got to move

Winch installed on bulkhead, needs to be rotated to fit but plenty of clearance once in, neat fit and clears hull easily.

View from inside, just the four mounting bolts and the cable, no lost usable space. Cable entry sealed with silicone.

Reversing solenoid mounted on side pocket, out of the way but still readily accessable.

Twin battery system was fitted, mounted the isolating change over switch in an easy accessable position. For some reason some guys mount these switches hidden under the motor well. Can't see much there. These BEP switches are compact and carry a higher amperage rating than some of the cheaper bulky ones. Can be surface mounted also.

Installation is basically complete, tested functions. Waiting for rope, bow roller and anchor to complete the job.

fatjk
MadFisho
MadFisho

Postby DrDRIFT » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

Very well done for a self taught....
especially the bulkhead....Hackjob is spot on in that it looks like it came with the boat from day one.....
As for my tinne I was joking, I have done a couple in the past but top mounts(gypsy type) not drums.... I will eventually "try" to fit a drum myself soon, as dads getting alittle too old to do anchor dutties....so I'll get him one for his birthday in March...

Dr Drift....
Dr Drift...
<((((((><

fishhardbutfishsafe...
DrDRIFT
MadFisho
MadFisho

Next

Return to Mechanical