Avante Marine Monster Fish    Total tackle Lonestar  chsmith 
Victoria's Premier Fishing Forum

  • Advertisement
Forum rules
Friendliness First. Please ensure that your whole post is respectful of the feelings and cultures of all others. Consider whether your post is more suited for another forum. See the index page for the full list. Assist your readers by making your topic heading as relevant and descriptive as possible. Do not post your email address. This could then be used as Spam. Use the PM system (you can include your email in a PM though).
General Disclaimer. Comments and advice on this forum should be considered as general in nature, and you should always seek expert advice on matters that might affect yours and others safety, liability and insurance cover. These may include, but not be limited to, topics of electrical safety, gas installations, and boat or vehicle modifications.
Please Note: Opinions, comments and statements of forum members may not reflect those of the owners/administrators/moderators or host. Any comment, recommendation, or opinion stated on this forum are those of the member alone and have no bearing on the owners/administrators/moderators or host of this forum.

Mako Gear

General discussions on game fishing methods & techniques.

Moderator: mrfisho

Mako Gear

Postby Hendo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:01 pm

With the Mako season about to start i thought i would try my hand at them this year. Was after you opinion on what rod and reel would best suit. was thinking of the <strong>Nitro Tuna winch</strong> and not sure on which reel to suit. would welcome your opinion.

Thanks in Advance :D :D
User avatar
Hendo
SportsFisho
SportsFisho
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: donvale

Advertisement

jtfibreglass

Re: Mako Gear

Postby ruffnut » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:00 am

Hendo wrote:With the Mako season about to start i thought i would try my hand at them this year. Was after you opinion on what rod and reel would best suit. was thinking of the <strong>Nitro Tuna winch</strong> and not sure on which reel to suit. would welcome your opinion.

Thanks in Advance :D :D


Not sure on where your planing to go after them
At Portland when we chase them we use a 70-100kg game rod
with a 80ws reel spooled with 1000mts of 200lb braid the wire trace is 400lb
and 2 12/0 hooks (we don't like them getting away to good to eat)
and for bait most times a full squid around a kilo in weight
We have had one break the line after 2.5hrs got it to the boat a few times it was around 11ft
and have had a couple spin the boat around also(drag the boat sideways)
Just make sure you tier them out before getting them close to the boat
as they can breach around double there length and have been know to land in boats
causing a lot of damage
Don't believe the myth that dragging them backwards drowns them it only knocks them out
have seen one go ballistic after being dragged backwards for approx 10ks then put on the gantry
for weighing lowered then make its way down the ramp to disappear in the harbor
Dont want to say what we do to disperse them here
pm me with your ph number and I will call you and let you know
Cheers Dale
User avatar
ruffnut
SportsFisho
SportsFisho
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Mako Gear

Postby hookatex » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:48 am

I've got the nitro tuna winches (love em!) paired up with avet 50 narrows. 600m of 100lb braid and 50m mono top shot. Great combos but would probably go 50 wides if I bought them again.
Lone Star Marine
Drum Winches & Accessories
www.lonestarmarine.com.au
0409 132 173
hookatex
GunFisho
GunFisho
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:28 pm

Re: Mako Gear

Postby sharps » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Ruffnut - how true is the 'jumping in boats' - Ive read a few times about this, though have you experienced it?
User avatar
sharps
Fisho
Fisho
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: Mako Gear

Postby sharps » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:00 pm

btw - hendo - very happy to see this post as well!!
User avatar
sharps
Fisho
Fisho
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Re: Mako Gear

Postby mrfisho » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:14 pm

Hendo when your ready let me know when you can come around for a coffee and I can help you with a few setup's

Cheers
Mick
Image
User avatar
mrfisho
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13000
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:00 pm
Location: Rowville

Re: Mako Gear

Postby dicko » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:22 pm

ruffnut wrote:
Hendo wrote:With the Mako season about to start i thought i would try my hand at them this year. Was after you opinion on what rod and reel would best suit. was thinking of the <strong>Nitro Tuna winch</strong> and not sure on which reel to suit. would welcome your opinion.

Thanks in Advance :D :D


Not sure on where your planing to go after them
At Portland when we chase them we use a 70-100kg game rod
with a 80ws reel spooled with 1000mts of 200lb braid the wire trace is 400lb
and 2 12/0 hooks (we don't like them getting away to good to eat)
and for bait most times a full squid around a kilo in weight
We have had one break the line after 2.5hrs got it to the boat a few times it was around 11ft
and have had a couple spin the boat around also(drag the boat sideways)
Just make sure you tier them out before getting them close to the boat
as they can breach around double there length and have been know to land in boats
causing a lot of damage
Don't believe the myth that dragging them backwards drowns them it only knocks them out
have seen one go ballistic after being dragged backwards for approx 10ks then put on the gantry
for weighing lowered then make its way down the ramp to disappear in the harbor
Dont want to say what we do to disperse them here
pm me with your ph number and I will call you and let you know
Cheers Dale


Please don't take this the wrong way Dale but 70 too100kg rods 200 pound braid ??? Holy crap that's a bit of over kill, that's the sort of stuff you need a game chair for I have caught god knows how many hundreds of makos and the most I use is 37kg, most of the time it is 15 too 24kg I've caught 155kg mako at Portland on 24kg 220kg mako on 37kg off Eden and a 140kg mako on 15kg off Phillip Island and all on mono line too, you phisicly could not lock that gear up it wold pull you out of the boat, geez I only use 37kg gear when chasing 1000 pound Marlin and always mono you need the stretch, braid can pop because of the water pressure when the fish takes off sideways or comes up and jumps because there's no stretch in the line, plus under IGFA rules braid is not allowed so if your in a game fishing comp or catch a record fish you would be disqualified
Cheers Greg
User avatar
dicko
SportsFisho
SportsFisho
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:00 am

Re: Mako Gear

Postby Dazzar-K » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:30 am

If i was just starting out on Mako's I have 2 TLD 25's spooled with 600m of 15kg mono, with a couple of shimano back bone rods, no need to go over the top , talk to your local shop about suitable traces and some 150lb wind on leaders, they will be able to help you out. At the moment there is some great combo deals at the like of tackle world etc ............I read an artical that said women were the best mako fishers because they were more patient and and they didn't bring green fish to the boat , that's another reason for the 15kg , better if you play'em a while and wear them out before bring them to the boat
User avatar
Dazzar-K
GunFisho
GunFisho
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Mako Gear

Postby Dazzar-K » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:33 am

this'll get you in to the mood..........some language thats not suitable for kids on this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHXPvc5y3Y
User avatar
Dazzar-K
GunFisho
GunFisho
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Mako Gear

Postby ruffnut » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way Dale but 70 too100kg rods 200 pound braid ??? Holy crap that's a bit of over kill, that's the sort of stuff you need a game chair for I have caught god knows how many hundreds of makos and the most I use is 37kg, most of the time it is 15 too 24kg I've caught 155kg mako at Portland on 24kg 220kg mako on 37kg off Eden and a 140kg mako on 15kg off Phillip Island and all on mono line too, you phisicly could not lock that gear up it wold pull you out of the boat, geez I only use 37kg gear when chasing 1000 pound Marlin and always mono you need the stretch, braid can pop because of the water pressure when the fish takes off sideways or comes up and jumps because there's no stretch in the line, plus under IGFA rules braid is not allowed so if your in a game fishing comp or catch a record fish you would be disqualified
Cheers Greg[/quote]

Its ok Greg
when we go out to murder one of these great creatures we like to tier it out and get it to the boat as quick as possible
dont want to make them suffer anymore than necessary we even keep the fins and give them to the Asians that run the
local supermarket as dont like seeing any go to waste
They are very grateful for the fins (makes me feel a bit better about killing them)
and saves a shark from slaughter just for the fins
We go after them for food more than record breaking


sharps wrote:Ruffnut - how true is the 'jumping in boats' - Ive read a few times about this, though have you experienced it?


We have not had one jump in the boat yet but sure it will happen one day if we are unlucky
have had one swim at the boat faster than I can reel the line in from down deep
thats scary it was around 11ft long going by the boat length
Dale
User avatar
ruffnut
SportsFisho
SportsFisho
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Next

Return to Game Fishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest