Lonestar  chsmith 

Victoria's Premier Fishing Forum

• Advertisement
Forum rules
Friendliness First. Please ensure that your whole post is respectful of the feelings and cultures of all others. Consider whether your post is more suited for another forum. See the index page for the full list. Assist your readers by making your topic heading as relevant and descriptive as possible. Do not post your email address. This could then be used as Spam. Use the PM system (you can include your email in a PM though).
General Disclaimer. Comments and advice on this forum should be considered as general in nature, and you should always seek expert advice on matters that might affect yours and others safety, liability and insurance cover. These may include, but not be limited to, topics of electrical safety, gas installations, and boat or vehicle modifications.
Please Note: Opinions, comments and statements of forum members may not reflect those of the owners/administrators/moderators or host. Any comment, recommendation, or opinion stated on this forum are those of the member alone and have no bearing on the owners/administrators/moderators or host of this forum.

dispatching fish and bleeding gummies- help!

General discussions on saltwater fishing methods & techniques
Avante Marine
Sponsoring MRFISHO.COM

Moderator: mrfisho

dispatching fish and bleeding gummies- help!

Postby weekend warrior » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 am

Gday all-

Please throw up any pointers or tips in regards to the best way to dispatch snapper,

And what is the best way to bleed a gummy, I've heard that to make em good eating they need to be bled straight after being caught...
weekend warrior
GunFisho
GunFisho

Advertisement

jtfibreglass

Re: dispatching fish and bleeding gummies- help!

Postby toadie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:29 am

for snapper a simple spike to the brain will kill them instantly then placed in an ice slurry (salt water and ice). there are videos on youtube about it.

as for gummies, easiest way is a hit over the head to stun them, then take a photo or 2 if wanted then cut across the back of the head, not all the way but enough to cut the blood line. and then gut the gummy after bleeding into a bucket. gummies have a great sense of smell so i try not to gut and bleed them into the water, i tip the guts and blood out as im packing up or driving back to the ramp.
toadie
MadFisho
MadFisho

Postby HARM5Y » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 am

There are different views on this, I don't cut the back of the head cause the way I skin em make it it harder, I gut bleed em, cut the fins, then wack em on ice, never had a drama with taste. I always chuck the guts/blood straight over board as well, and I have hooked up not long after, so I'm not a believer in it spooking other gummies from biting. You'll find the kayak boys have the same belief, cause they don't have room to store blood and guts on the yak.

My 2c
HARM5Y
MadFisho
MadFisho

Postby weekend warrior » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:10 am

thanks guys- I'll remember you when my lotto numbers come up!!
weekend warrior
GunFisho
GunFisho

Postby spokesc » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:18 am

as said above but i prefer to freeze gummies before eating as it seems to improve the eating quality
spokesc
SportsFisho
SportsFisho

Postby vrecfisho » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:53 am

Weekend Warrior,

Iki Jime or brain spiking in the venacular is the most humane way of dispatching fish however many of us don't use this method for fear of causing the fish more trauma if we miss the brain. If you go to the web site http://www.ikijime.com you will see that they have taken an x-ray of the more poular species of fish that are caught in our waters and each image identifies the exact location of the brain. With Calamari you need to despatch them in three places, twice under the hood and once back of the head. You'll know when you have done it corrctly because the Cala will turn white. All that remains to be done is to bleed the fish (when necessary i.e. Trevs, Shark, Salmon, Tailor etc) and into a salt water ice slurry to optimise the quality of fish when presented to the table.

Hope this helps
vrecfisho
Fisho
Fisho

Postby davidian » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 pm

I have 'captain snooze' on board, who puts all my fish to sleep straight away. He's an old axe handle cut down to about a foot in length. Works every time.

For gummies, I do it like Harmsy but gutting and hanging them from the tail to bleed them out, but I dont cut the fins. Never had a problem with taste either. I dont cut the back of the head on any fish because I fillet them from the head down (grew up on a trout farm filleting trout, that's the way they do it). A broken backbone makes filleting them this way really annoying.
davidian
MadFisho
MadFisho

• Advertisement
mrfisho

Return to Saltwater Scene