Online Shopping MRFISHO

Beginner snapper marks

Westernport Snapper Reports and Discussions ONLY!

Moderator: mrfisho

skronkman

Beginner snapper marks

Postby skronkman Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi all. I am about to head out from Warneet tomorrow and try out several of the ideas I have learned from many of you on here (and a lot of YouTube). I have adjusted my sounder transducer as it seemed to be way out of whack from what I read and put my gps antenna on top of the rocket launcher so I get a much faster fix and hopefully doesn't drop out as much as it was. I want to try sounding around gps marks for snapper to see if I can interpret the readout, see some reef and possibly even spot a few arches before dropping a line. Only problem is, as a beginner and having not caught any fish in WPB yet I don't have any marks to sound around. Could anybody here please provide me with a few gps coordinates for reefy areas in the top end that might hold snapper this time of year? I don't want to steal your best marks or anything like that, I really just need to try sounding for fish and bottom structure and hopefully be in a likely area for snapper this time of year so I'm not totally wasting my time.

I will report back here with the results...

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Mick

mrfisho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beginner snapper marks

Postby mrfisho Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:20 pm

There is a book put out by Paul Worsetling for WP with many GPS Marks and many of them produce as well .. Give that a go available at heaps of tackle shops

Cheers
Mick

cheaterparts

Postby cheaterparts Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi all. I am about to head out from Warneet tomorrow and try out several of the ideas I have learned from many of you on here (and a lot of YouTube). I have adjusted my sounder transducer as it seemed to be way out of whack from what I read and put my gps antenna on top of the rocket launcher so I get a much faster fix and hopefully doesn't drop out as much as it was. I want to try sounding around gps marks for snapper to see if I can interpret the readout, see some reef and possibly even spot a few arches before dropping a line. Only problem is, as a beginner and having not caught any fish in WPB yet I don't have any marks to sound around. Could anybody here please provide me with a few gps coordinates for reefy areas in the top end that might hold snapper this time of year? I don't want to steal your best marks or anything like that, I really just need to try sounding for fish and bottom structure and hopefully be in a likely area for snapper this time of year so I'm not totally wasting my time.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Mick
Strangly enough I haven't caught many snapper near reefy areas in WP , I normaly just park up on some shallow grazing area and wait for them to come to me
I also dont use any real GPS marks
My best fish have come from areas with very little structure at all

In the last 4 years I have only sounded snapper twice on the fish finder

as Mr fisho has pointed out Paul Worsetling has a book that may give you some hints --- AFN Fishing map 6 on Westernport also gives a few hints as well

Good luck as the water temps are down atm so you may find fish that just aren't on the chew
another month or so with the water warming again it will become a lot easier

skronkman

Postby skronkman Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, I grabbed that AFN map off a mate and will use it as a guide. I also rang Borders books for the Paul Worsteling book but was told it is no longer in print and the publisher doesn't have any stock left.

Will let you know how I go tomorrow.

Cheers
Mick

skronkman

Postby skronkman Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:22 pm

By the way, if anyone on here is out in the top end of WPB tomorrow and sees us in a red express cavalier 5.2m please feel free to pull alongside and say g'day. I look forward to meeting some of you all.

Proud Albatross

Postby Proud Albatross Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, I grabbed that AFN map off a mate and will use it as a guide. I also rang Borders books for the Paul Worsteling book but was told it is no longer in print and the publisher doesn't have any stock left.

Will let you know how I go tomorrow.

Cheers
Mick

You will have better luck finding it in a tackle shop - usually they have the old out of print stuff. I think K-mart used to stock that one too.

gummylover

Postby gummylover Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:12 am

dont worry about the worsteling book I just got the afn gps Australia wide book and has 3000 marks all over the country and about 10 pages worth for ppb and wpb cost $29 motackle

Chuck Norris does not need Twitter... he is already following you!!
skronkman

Postby skronkman Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Well, thanks again for all the replies. We were out this morning at 6.45 and stayed till 3pm. Started off at the edge of the channel just south of eagle rock in 22m of water. Nothing in 2 hours. Moved to Joes island and tried a few different spots in 7 to 13 meters. Got a flathead, undersized. Cops were checking license and safety gear but no worries here. Bait was pilchard, squid, blue mackerel. Tried whole and chunks and fillets on paternoster rigs and running sinkers. 6 rods out in all plus a burley cage on the bottom.

Did manage to get my sounder to give a decent display finally. Had to drop it lower off the transom and also angle it down a bit. Get to hold a bottom reading at 200khz doing 22knots and can see pretty good detail and even arches when anchored and using 50khz and playing with gain and threshold. Had to check I wasn't in demo mode at one point, the arches and bottom with a clear screen were exactly like I saw in demo. Even can see the burley cage sitting off the bottom and watch the sinkers drop and retrieve. At first though it was set too deep and angled and just sprayed water up all over the outboard cowling, good reading but messy and had to wash out under the cowl when I got home.

Morning was windy and bouncy but it cleared to a perfect sunny and calm arvo on the water by midday. Better than sitting in an office I suppose. Even if this is my fifth trip in my new boat and still fishless (mate caught flatty). Still figure I'm doing something wrong, doesn't seem like fishing when you can't even get a bite. I'll keep heading out till Christmas and trying new things. If still no luck by then, I'll know where you can buy a nice boat going cheap!

Cheers,
Mick

moods

Postby moods Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:20 am

G day Skronkman
It's Moods here I'm the champion snapper whisperer who won the comp last week, ive got the best way to catch snapper !!!!
follow BIG PETE HA hahaah
Good luck !!

TIM

Postby TIM Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:40 am

Mate by christmas you will be sick of snapper :? . Dont get to stressed we are all haveing donut sessions at the moment. Just some people are getting a fish inbetween the donuts. It is frustrating when you know the fish are there but they just wont bite but that is snapper fishing this time of year. If you just wanna catch a fish and not botherd what try drifting while bounceing a bait off the bottom you should pick up a feed of fattys at least and many a snapper have been jaged that way too. Anyway keep at it good things come to those that wait. Cheers Tim

Return to “Snapper Westernport”