Online Shopping MRFISHO

Which frequency

Westernport Snapper Reports and Discussions ONLY!

Moderator: mrfisho

phillby

Which frequency

Postby phillby Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Quick question to all. I have always been told to run the sounder on 200 kHz but I've really struggled to get any arches or ticks and when I do they are very broken up and not clear. I'm running the airmar b164 1 kW thru hull transducer with the hds 5 all installed correctly. I was just reading on the specs for my transducer that in 9 metres on 200 kHz the cone width would only be about 3 feet wide were as in 50 kHz it should be about 3-4 metres wide. I haven't run on the 50 yet but interested in everyone's thoughts

Tartankangaroo

Re: Which frequency

Postby Tartankangaroo Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:26 pm

generally - 200 for shallow water work (bays) and 50 for deep. 200 should give you more detail - accuracy in pinpointing fish.

However, there's tricks to the trade so to speak and you need to find what works for you. You can try running both frequencies at the same time - wider coverage and when you start honing in, switch to he 200. Or if you can, run split screen.

Sounders generally cant just be set and forgotten about - they need constant tweaking when hunting fish. The sensitivity needs to be thought of as a contrast level, the chart speed - scroll speed should match your boat speed or there or there abouts.

Dont know much about Lowrance but for example on my Humminbird, if i'm sounding an area, i will usually be about 4mph, therefore my chart/scroll speed is set at 4. I run split screen/frequencies and when I see arches, i hone in on the higher frequency adjusting the sensitivity till i see the right picture.....hopefully fish.

Hope that helps.

R.

Return to “Snapper Westernport”